Public universities and University constituent colleges
These are established through institutional Acts of Parliament and are not currently subjected to the accreditation process of the Commission for Higher Education.
University constituent colleges were each established in 2007 by a Legal Order under the Act of the university shown in brackets against it, after the requisite verification of academic resources by the Commission for Higher Education.
1. University of Nairobi (UoN) - 1970;
2. Moi University (MU) - 1984;
3. Kenyatta University (KU) - 1985;
4. Egerton University (EU) - 1987;
5. Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) 1994;
6. Maseno University (MSU) - 2001;
7. Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology (MMUST) - 2007.